11 October 2012

Color Story: Marie Antoinette



One of my favorite movies of all time would have to be Sofia Coppola’s 2006 film, Marie Antoinette, not because of the script (sorry) but because of its visual extravaganza. I remembered watching this film while I was still a design student and I just sat there in the theatre completely wide-eyed and goggly over the amazingness of its cinematography and grandness of production. It was one of those movies that left me in awe and dream-like slash surreal kind of state when the credits at the end started rolling.

Since this was a story about the life of Marie Antoinette, the setting is during the French Rococo period. In architectural history, the Rococo style is known for its light, dainty and feminine themes. Shells were a famous motif during this period. Curvilinear and S-shapes took the place of the then stiff and rigid outlines of its manly predecessor style.

So enough about the history lesson and let’s talk about the yumminess of colors that helped create the overall “ambiance” of the film. Since this was an age ruled by feminine taste, pastels, florals and toile were abundant.

COLOR PALETTE

Here are a few color suggestions of mine if you want to have a similar feel of the film. I based these colors using my own copy of the Pantone Fashion+Home color guide, but instead of placing the Pantone code I placed the HTML counterpart for easier reference instead.













FOOD

Ladurée provided the luscious and drool-worthy pastries in the film. I’ll just shut up now and just let these photos do the enticing, shall we?









SET DESIGN

I think you can never go wrong with the Rococo style. It’s a “tamer” version of the Baroque style, in my opinion. Most of these scenes were taken in the actual Palace of Versailles (hello!). The details are simply impeccable. Amazing.









The intricate costumes and shoes (Manolo Blahnik anyone?) are also duly noted (and awarded) in this film. If you haven’t seen this yet, here’s the trailer to lure you into watching:

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuByY-DnGYo]

Photo sources: 01 02 03

2 comments:

Pin It button on image hover