26 September 2012

The Set of Royal Tenenbaums


The very first Wes Anderson film I’ve seen was courtesy of my sister who strongly insisted on making me watch The Royal Tenenbaums. If you aren’t familiar with Wes Anderson, you better start googling him now. Seriously. Some of his other famous or buzz-worthy works are Rushmore, The Darjeeling Limited, Fantastic Mr. Fox and the recent Moonrise Kingdom.


Anyway, after seeing this film I’m pretty much convinced on watching any of his films without hesitation or even without seeing the movie trailer. Sort-of like my feeling after watching Taken, I was sold on watching any film with Liam Neeson in it afterwards (yeah, yeah why only now). And in this case, it was with Wes Anderson.



What I love about his films aside from his usually odd, eccentric and awkward characters is that you’re sure to be treated with a visual feast. For this movie, the Production Designer is David Wasco who worked with him in some of his other projects as well. Also to be duly noted is the film’s amazing Art Director, Carl Sprague.


Creating designs in reality and in film have distinct differences. Aside from the location (if it’s in a studio, etc.) and sometimes the quality of the finishings, two of the most other notable differences I’ve encountered are the following:



  1. Angles - Sometimes what looks like a weird furniture angle in reality, looks effing awesome in film. Same applies when shooting photos for Interiors. Try removing a chair or changing the angle of a cabinet or coffee table to capture a better picture.




  2. Everything has meaning - Anything caught on frame or is within the set has a meaning. It could be a symbolism of sort, a reflection of a character’s emotion, etc. If it’s there, it means something and not just because.




via Iambic Admonit


So yes back to the set design of the film. I love the warm colors and quirkiness of the set. Even the painting on the above picture has a flair of whimsy on it. As you can see, what really matters in this case is creating or getting a “feeling” or “reaction” from the audience. One look at it and you’re already charmed and captivated by the life and story of the character. You transport your audience to their world. Not all films are able to do this, mind you.



Here are other photos of some of the scenes that I like:



I want that glowing globe thing in the corner!



Quaint office/library. Even the books are color-coordinated with the wardrobe of the actors.



I like the disheveled in a neat sort-of way (does that even make sense?) feel of the books and the hanging framed artworks on the open shelves.



I thought the blocking of the characters in this film are good. There’s something about this picture that makes me want to giggle every time I look at it. Weird.



Jumbo tropical leaves? YES PLEASE.



Again, nice blocking. I like how Margot is nonchalantly sulking in the corner. And, the wall color is yum.



LOOOOVE this Scalamandre zebra wallpaper print! Well if it isn’t obvious enough with the layout of my blog, I’m pretty much obsessed with the tomato red and animal print combo as well haha :)



And how cute are these people for dressing up as iconic Tenenbaums? Awesome idea for halloween and themed family albums!



The Ronson siblings as featured in Harper’s Bazaar (via Mademoiselle Robot)



Cute pre-nuptial photo shoot (sorry, but I really can’t help but describe it as cute; via A Practical Wedding).


And if you haven’t seen the movie, here’s the trailer below. Another film with a similar vibe to the setting of TRT that I’ve seen would be Audrey Tatou’s Amelie. I’ll try to do a separate entry for that. For the meantime, yeah go check this film out if you haven’t :)


[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMfV72q40U]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover